Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Here's some flesh !!

Hi there !
Here's some body parts i was working on in the last few weeks.  

For the torso, little by little, i added thin layers of dry wall plaster on the wooden block in order to give it a more interesting shape.  Each day, i spent like 15 minutes applying the plaster and let that dry-up for a full day before getting back on it.  A little sanding here and there and voilà !

 
 



 
For the abdomen and the neck,  i prepared two texturized clay plates in order to pour liquid latex on them.  Once dry, this will work as flesh.

Here's the plate for the abdomen



I had let the clay dry in deep for a few days, but it was so thin that the edges was become a little curly (it happened on the drying phase).  I then applied a thin layer of spray varnish to help removing the latex once poured and dryed-up.  It helped, but as mention Richard Svensson, it's harder to apply the latex on a slick surface, because the latex doesn't want to stay in place.  I need to say that i was deeply inspired by Richard puppet making tutorial when i planned doing that.

There was 2 tries.  The first didn't end very well.  I poured too much latex at once and it wasn't completely dry when i removed it one week later.  The second one was done, layer by layer, 24hrs between coats.

The bad one it on the left and the good, on the right.



Note:  The mold cracked at the center after the first try.  I glued it temporary back to do the second try.  There wasn't an issue because there's a belt on the Corpser's abdomen that you'll see in the further pictures.


This is the plate for the neck.  Note that this one is 1 cm thick.  I did some carving strikes to add texture. 



It worked almost well.  The carving strikes were too deep i think and the latex didn't gives the effect i was expecting.  That was a good experience thought.  My latex is probably best suited for mold building.  It's looks harder and less flexible than the latex others use (like the ones that are made to put on your skin).



Finally, i didn't want to use it this way so i just turn it over.  The other side texture was kindda nice too.



I glued both parts together with latex and did some ajustements with scissors, then i put them in place with a stapler.  I also cut an old belt of mine to put on it.






There's only some minors adjustements needed and a good paint job before i can move on shooting the last sequences.





8 comments:

  1. That is one scary scary monster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work Vince!! That thing is a behemoth!! It must weight a TON!! But the way you've designed it, all hinged together and fully supported, it should be able to move like a ninja in the shadows!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And so glad to hear you're recovering!! Take it easy fir a while. Soon both you and your monster will be complete and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaaaaaaahhh! So Awesommmmeeeeeee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah!! If the Mongolian Deathworm had legs, this would be it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all !! I'm starting the paint job right now. That's my first time using an airbrush. I hope i'll don't screw it up. I'm so tired working on this puppet...

    ReplyDelete