I managed to build the neck mechanism of my puppet this week. I wasn't sure about the best way to do it. One thing i was sure of, the weight of the head was a problem.
My first idea was to use a desk lamp's flexible support as a neck to link the head to the body. I didn't try that, because i was afraid to have a jerky animation result (my character's animation experience is very little).
So i choose to work with a hinge that would move the head, only up and down, but with a good control on it.
After this mechanism was done, i looked at the original movie in loops and i quickly find out that i didn't want my puppet's head to only move in one axis. So i build a 3 axis mechanism, which i'm pretty happy working with.
Here's the part for moving the head clockwise and counter-clockwise.
Here's the part for moving the head left and right.
Finally, the part to move it up and down. There's a wire that maintain the head in the desired position. It's attached on a thread rod and stays in place with a nut.
Here's a quick animation test i have done to get the feel of it and to see if any more adjustments were required.
Some pictures i made for fun.
I'll work on padding up the body this week.
Uh oh !! I almost forgot. Brett McCoy sent me a rough mix this week of the soundtrack he's preparing for my movie (Yeah yeah... Brett McCoy !!). I don't want to tease you, but this sounds awesome !! He is very well known in the stopmotion community as a brilliant composer. He kindly do music for stopmotion artists while working on his personal projects. If you haven't did it already, visit his website -> www.electricminstrel.com